Naga Munchetty says she felt ‘excruciating’ pain while having a coil installed

0

Naga Munchetty shared her “traumatic” experience of having a fitted coil as she highlighted the issues around “how we view the health and pain of all women”.

The TV presenter said she passed out twice after feeling “excruciating” pain as she inserted the contraceptive device into her body and received no anesthetic.

Munchetty told BBC Radio 5 Live that she had a high pain threshold, but the procedure was “one of the most traumatic physical experiences I’ve had.”

“I had followed the procedure with my GP,” she said.

“She was clear, patient and informative, so I thought I was prepared for a routine procedure.

“A nurse accompanied the doctor to the room where the fitting was to take place.

“I was told to take paracetamol and ibuprofen for a few hours before my appointment and I have never been pregnant, so my cervix has never been opened before.”

Her husband was in the waiting room to drive her home afterwards, she said.

“I won’t go into all the details, but my screams were so loud that my husband tried to figure out which room I was in to make it stop,” she said.

“He said the people in the waiting room hearing my screams looked horrified.

“The nurse accompanying the doctor had tears in her eyes.

Munchetty said the doctor asked her if she wanted to stop the procedure, but declined the offer because she was “determined that the pain I had suffered so far would not recur.”

A year later, she had the coil removed because it “didn’t suit me and the pain was excruciating again.”

“I passed out again, then burst into tears of relief as I left the GP’s office,” she added.

“I felt violated, weak and angry.

“I have friends who have had very similar experiences and of course I have friends who haven’t had any issues,” Munchetty said.

“It’s not about the coil itself, we know it’s safe and efficient.

“What it’s all about is how we look at the health and pain of all women. “

Munchetty said she was motivated to speak out about the issue after reading an article by writer Caitlin Moran in The Times newspaper about her experience installing an intrauterine device.

Press Association


Source link

Share.

About Author

Leave A Reply