Former TV host O’Keefe charged with choking | Blue Mountains Gazette

0

Former Seven Network TV host Andrew O’Keefe will spend the night behind bars after being charged with choking and assaulting a woman.

The 50-year-old presenter was arrested early Thursday after arguing with the 38-year-old woman on Tuesday at a Sydney CBD unit, police say.

He was denied bail to appear in Central Local Court on Friday to face two charges of intentionally choking a person, three of common assault and assault causing bodily harm real.

The former Deal or No Deal host is accused of “grabbing her by the throat, pushing her to the ground and punching her,” police said in a statement.

He then allegedly assaulted the woman a second time, punching and kicking her before she left the unit and reported the incident.

O’Keefe, a former barrister and son of former New South Wales Supreme Court Justice Barry O’Keefe, was a founding member of the domestic violence charity, the White Ribbon Foundation, which he was president in 2017.

The organization – which went into liquidation in 2019 – said in a statement it was disappointed to hear the allegations against O’Keefe, as with “many other harrowing incidents of violence against women already in the new year. “.

“We were appalled to learn that Andrew O’Keefe, who was previously aligned with White Ribbon Australia, has been arrested following the alleged assault of a woman in Sydney on Tuesday.”

The organization had already distanced itself from the former ambassador last year and said it stood in solidarity with all victims and survivors of male violence against women.

1800 RESPECT (1800 737 732)

Australian Associated Press

Share.

About Author

Comments are closed.